What is KOAN-PM (KOAN Project Management Inventory)?
The KOAN-PM is an online tool for assessing the project management competencies of an individual based on their personality rather than on their own self-image. As a result,
|Is KNOWING the competencies of your Project Managers of strategic value for your organization? KOAN-PM can help you identify the people with the right project management competencies.|
|ON which Project Manager could you rely to finish difficult tasks? If you don´t know, KOAN-PM can help.|
|Are theAMBITIONS of your Project Managers in sync with your project management needs? KOAN-PM can answer this question.|
|Is NOMINATING the best Project Manager for a challenging project difficult for you? KOAN-PM can help you with choosing the right person.|
|Can you PLAN a training strategy to stretch a Project Manager’s potential? KOAN-PM can help you identify areas of training.|
|Is MANPOWER optimization essential to the success of your complex projects? KOAN-PM can help you during the optimization process.|
KOAN-PM can help you identify and measure your Project Managers’ behaviours and competencies.
Why use KOAN-PM to measure behaviours and competencies?
Project Management questionnaires are conceptual by nature – the questionnaire consists of very transparent items. Project Managers can easily ascertain what the question is intended to measure. As a result, the questionnaire measures an individual’s self-image as opposed to their true personality. It also makes it easy for Project Managers and team members to direct the results according to the manner in which they want to be perceived or how they believe one should be in order to hold a certain position.
During its creation, the KOAN-PM experts sought to develop the most accurate predictor of the true competencies of a Project Manager. To reach this goal they used an empirical approach. The empirical approach to developing personality and competency tools is the strongest research method. It leads to the highest prediction rates and is the least vulnerable to cultural differences.
Consequently, it is also the most exhaustive approach, putting a high demand on the quality of the data gathering. This method helps to reveal items that have no obvious relationship with the researched concepts but that do have a strong predictive relationship in reality. The Project Manager/ team member filling in the questionnaire has no idea what exactly is measured by any specific question, thereby making it difficult to direct the answers towards a clear goal. The result is a strong prediction of the personality, competencies, and work style of the individual.
What do you gain?
The KOAN-PM report consist of two parts:
The first part is a very extensive and detailed description of the work style of a manager during the four project phases:
- Initiating/Starting up a project
- Definition/Planning/Directing a project
- Executing the project/Controlling a stage and managing a stage boundary
- Embedding/Closing the project and learning
The name of each phase depends on the project methodology you use (e.g. PMI, PRINCE2). At the end of the phase description, an overview of the strengths and limitations of the individual is provided in short and powerful statements (example of descriptive report).
The second part consists of a figure-based evaluation of the scores on eight competencies:
- Respecting and commanding respect
- Developing support
- Creating involvment
- Creating clarity
- Managing information and maintaining control
- Organizational orientation
- Self-confidence and flexibility
Each competence is broken down into eight very concrete and different behaviours. Each of the behaviours is given a score that indicates whether the behaviour represents an obstacle for success, a development point, a positive characteristic, or a distinctive quality. (example of competencies evaluation).
The results of KOAN-PM report can be applied in the following ways:
1. As a clarifying report for self-assessment: The Project Manager obtains a concise, eloquent and well-grounded insight into his strengths and areas of development (hard and soft skills). This can allow him to focus on areas that still require work, thereby reinforcing strengths as well as eliminating obstacles. For improving a Project Manager’s hard skills we offer PMI ® training. For improvement of their soft skills, we offer communication and coaching training.
2. As preparation for training: For the Individual: The participant can prepare and express themselves better. An important advantage of having the “data of measurement” is that the participant starts the training with an increased level of self-insight. This way, the participant is able to obtain a better understanding of how to effectively use their energy at a professional level. For the Trainer: The competency model can be used to map strengths and weaknesses of the participants. The trainer can work with subgroups that share the same strengths or limitations. Or work with subgroups where the extremes meet.
3. As support for selection, internal promotion or setting up project groups: During an assessment, the candidate can read the report as an introduction for an open dialogue. By revealing the information, the ownership is shared with the candidate and all elements are debatable. The candidate can also achieve greater insight as to why he is or is not the right candidate.
4. As a basis for formulating development questions: The instrument can serve as framework for making choices on developmental goals. The competencies can be used as questions that can be asked during a 360o feedback cycle (PM 360o). The result can be compared with the personal scores in order to show a candidate’s potential (the being) with the perceived bahaviour (the doing). This allows the participant to have a better view on his effective professional energy balance.
Language version of KOAN-PM questionnaire: We can offer you the English or French versions of the on-line KOAN-PM questionnaire with its report.
Time to complete: The questionnaire is fully accessible via our online application. You will need approximately 2 hours to complete.
PMI PDU’s: One hour spent on completing the KOAN-PM questionnaire equates to one PDU.
Price: The KOAN-PM online questionnaire is for one person. Please contact info@bevaglobal for the price.
An electronic KOAN-PM report will be send to the participant after completing the questionnaire.
KOAN-PM, as well as PM 360°, is realized in cooperation with our Belgium business partner.
Our coaches can help you understand the KOAN-PM results as well as provide professional services for the interpretation of those results.
Prices for consultancy services are negotiated individually.